Sunday, December 25, 2011

Talked to Hank today!

I couldn't finish the day without posting about our phone call with Hank.  It was so nice to hear his voice.  He called this morning right after we got home from church (we had a nice Christmas Sacrament meeting, the rest of the meetings were cancelled for Christmas).  We got home about 10:30 am, and he called about 10:45 to let us know that he'd be calling about 3:00.  He didn't know if we would be able to Skype, so Jonna got her laptop set up just in case.  He called about 3:30, and told us we'd just be able to talk on the phone, no skyping.  No problem though...it was just nice to hear him, hear how he's doing, and I know he loved hearing everyone's voices.  I asked him how he'd like to talk...either on speaker with everyone, or individually...he said he'd like to talk to everyone one at a time.  So Carla started, went outside and talked with Hank first.  Then Jeri, then Addie, then A.J., then Jonna, then me, and then finally John.  Everyone got a nice chunk of time to talk to him...A.J. took the longest, I think knowing this would be the last time they'd talk for about 2 1/2 years...A.J. just wanted to talk, so they talked for quite some time.  It was just so nice to hear him.  What a great way to finish up Christmas.

 We ended the conversation by putting the phone at the dinner table, put the phone on speaker, and we had a family prayer together.  Then we all said goodbye again to him, and finally, I hung up the phone.  I love that kid.  But he's really not a kid anymore.  He'll always be my kid....but he's growing up. My gosh...he's a month away from being 21!  Wow!  Amazing how time has flown.  My heart is full today for many reasons.  We're less than 2 months away from saying goodbye to Jonna.  We'll soon be hearing where A.J. will be serving, and having to say goodbye to him too...most likely in the Spring.  Yep.  My heart is really full.  With so my gratitude, and at the same time...some dread that we're already here in our lives.  It's all good, though.  Anyhow...so that was our Christmas phone call with Hank. So nice!  Next one is in May, on Mother's Day.  It'll be a tricky day, in that Jonna will be calling, and depending on when A.J. leaves, and if he's out of the MTC, he may be calling too!  We'll just have to see...!

No comments:

Post a Comment