Monday, March 12, 2012

(JONNA)- Being chased by a dog...day of tracting. Faith building day.

This is an excerpt of a letter we got from Jonna today.  She is so happy!  Does my heart good. -Lisa
 
....Dad asked what it was like as a sister missionary. It is interesting. A day in my life thus far? Get up at 6:30-pray-we go walking/running around our apartment complex. I study from 7-8, while my comp gets ready. Then, I get ready from 8-9. Companion study from 9-11. We get an extra hour since she is training me. The Church started a new Training program for new missionaries in August. It is called The First 12 Weeks. So, I get trained for 12 weeks, an extra hour of companion study each day, and then after the 12 weeks are over, new missionaries should be trained well enough by then that we could train that following transfer is necessary. (I don't know how likey it is, but that is the goal-to be full functioning missionaries as soon as possible). So, we have lunch from 11-noonish (depends on the day). And then we are out teaching! Get home about 9. Plan from 9-9:30. Prep for bed and lights out by 10:30. We are usually in bed earlier than that, since we are so exhausted. :)
 
But, want to know a story? Well, I'm telling it anyway. Saturday was an amazingly spiritually trying day. Sister C (who is awesome!) has been feeling like we need to tract a certain neighborhood and we decided that Sat. was the day to go. We are trying to save miles on our car so we made it a biking day-prayed that it wouldn't rain-and it didn't! We first, went to visit "M". She is a woman in her 70s-less active due to health. Due to a number of complications, she can't do much for herself, and getting someone to care for her has been a big challenge. A man (in his late 40s-early 50s) lives with her and takes-what we thought was good-care of her. We showed up on our bikes Saturday and he was acting strange. It was soon obvious that he was drunk. M left to the restroom and then he started to be very rude and mean. Swearing and telling us (mostly my comp) that we were terrible and not doing a good job. Well, that means it is time to leave. We went to say goodbye to M-threw a load of laundry in-and left. The nurse had just shown up, so we felt ok in leaving her there. The insults were directed mostly to Sis. C and I told her that it was Satan trying to take us down. We said a prayer of thanks and further protection and left to go tracting. Sis. C has bright red rain boots that she gets a lot of jokes about. We are always laughing about them. Ten minutes later, on our way to the neighborhood, a big dog started to chase us and bit Sis. C on the leg. We were trying to bike faster to get away and finally did. We pulled over and looked at her leg. The big red boots had totally protected her leg. There were 2 big holes where the dog punctured the rubber, and teeth marks all over the boot. All she has is a small scratch and a bruise on her leg. If she hadn't had those boots on, she would have a chunk of flesh taken. So, we kept going and had to bike probably 2 miles against a heavy wind to this neighborhood. It was so hard! When we finally got there, we decided that there was SOMEONE here that needed the Gospel and Satan was not wanting us to find them. So, with determination, we started tracting. I've done it a couple times before, but this was my first hardcore tract. We began, and 2 1/2 hours later, we were still being rejected. Some were nice, and some were just plain rude. Surprise, surprise. But, we felt sure there was someone. Finally, it was getting time to go. We had another appointment and it was getting dark. We still had to ride all the way home. We ended, and walked back to our bikes. As we were walking, trying to stay positive, I saw a house and felt we should try one more time. I said, "Let's try this house." Without hesitaion, Sister C said, "OK." And, we went. The woman who answered had a ton of dogs and kids running around. She said she (belonged to another church), but never goes to church. We told her of our message and asked if she'd like to learn more. She paused and I thought-oh great-rejection. But, she said, "My husband is home in the evenings. How is next Thursday?" YAYAYAY!!!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I was!! We both rode home, got muddy, and wet-but it didn't matter. We were totally filled with the Spirit. As I rode home, I looked all around me-at the fields and trees-and thought, "There is no place I'd rather be!" Trials all day long and then a reward. Now, we need to pray that this family will be there and receptive when we return. We had been teaching families all week about faith, and the Lord gave us an opportunity to exercise our own.
 
So, next week is Stake Conference. And, I am so excited that Elder Wright is coming. Thanks for his letter. It was so touching. I loved the quote from Pres. Hinckley. I really needed it. As I am getting more info on it, I don't know the chances of me getting to see Elder Wright. The stake is so big that our Stake Center is 30 minutes away. So, I will be watching it by broadcast and the missionaries are not going to the adult session on Sat. night. So, I'll get to see Elder Wright by satellite, but maybe not in person. Oh well, I'm trying not to be disappointed. It is just nice to see someone from AZ.
 
Well, I may get to experience my first baptism! "B" is a friend of the Stake President here, Pres. Banks. Pretty much more Golden than any golden investigator gets. He has already been taught everything by the Stake Pres, but we have to teach him since we are missionaries. He is in Alma, has the Ensigns, and Preach My Gospel on his iPad. Has already given out a B of M, and has been doing his family history work. So, his baptism is scheduled for March 22. Right now, he is a Disney World so I'm a little jealous. If that happens, hopefully, you'll get to see his photo in the Focal Point.
 
I have to get going now. I know this is long. Sorry! I remember getting long emails, and sometimes I wouldn't read them all. So, I'm not offended! But, I do want to say that I know the Lord is aware of us and loves us. I know Christ is real, I know He lives. I know that I as I trust in Him, I am happy.
 
Love yall!
Sister Jackson
 
PS-if anyone doesn't like getting these emails, let me know! Or, if someone feels left out, let me know too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment